Five Tips For Preventing Exterior Water Damage
Posted on: 30 August 2017
Exterior water damage to homes is extremely common and it's simply because many homeowners don't know how to prevent outside elements, such as rain from causing these problems. Here are five tips that can help you out:
- Trim Your Trees: One little-known reason for roof water damage is having trees that hang onto your roof. When this happens, water can become trapped on the roof, as well as moisture, which can cause significant damage even to possibly leave a leak in the roof that can cause water damage to the interior of your home, as well. So be sure that you regularly trim your trees in order to prevent this from happening.
- Install Screens on Gutters: An uncommonly seen tip for homeowners is installing screens on the gutters. These can blend right in with your gutters so that they are barely noticeable. The benefit of doing this is that it then only allows water into the gutters to be carried away from the home. Since the rest of the debris will sit on top of the screens, you can more easily see when it needs to be cleared away.
- Downspouts Need to be Five Feet Away from Foundation: If you ever install the gutters for your home yourself, you need to ensure that the downspout is at least five feet away from your home. This way, water is definitely being dragged away from your home to prevent water damage.
- Ensure a Tight Fit Around Windows: Another thing you want to do is ensure a tight fit around the window and doors of your home. The reason this is important is that, during heavy wind storms, rain can make its way into cracks in the door and window frames causing water damage to the windows and doors themselves, as well as possibly the interior of your home. It's important to seal any cracks and reinstall any kind of weatherstripping that the windows or doors might need.
- Remove Plants From Exterior Walls: If you have any bushes or other plants that are touching the side walls of the exterior of your home, it's best to remove them. The reason for this is that when they are watered, they allow water to seep right into the foundation, which can definitely destroy it.
When you consider these five tips, you can be sure that you easily prevent exterior water damage to your home. However, in the case that water damage is done, it's best to hire professionals who know how to clean it up so there is no sign it ever happened left behind.
Contact a company like Atlantic Carpet Care for more information and assistance.Share